RSS Feeds

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

WHERE DO YOU GO TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE?


People who know me, know I LOVE to travel.

Love it.

When I was younger, in my late teens and very early twenties, I wanted to go everywhere. Literally. I wanted to be one of those few adventurers who could say they've traveled the globe. Because that club is elite. So elite, in fact, that I'd wager the entire membership could carpool to their annual meetings in one of these:

(little known fact about people who have visited every country: They're all accomplished contortionists)

For the record, I didn't come close to hitting my goal. But I did travel, and the more I did, and the more I counted the stamps in my passports, the more I realized a couple things:

First: this planet is HUGE and you can travel your pants off and barely scratch the surface!

Second, and the reason for this post:  TRAVEL is where I feel the most uncomfortably comfortable (if that makes sense). It's when I'm suddenly immersed in a culture I don't quite understand, and where people don't understand me that I feel a profound sense of growth. Like I'm experiencing something that's impacting the kind of person I am. 
 
I used to think TRAVEL was universal in that regard. 
 
"Travel," I'd say, "and you're going to grow, ladies and gentlemen. Your life will be changed!"
 
But I realize that's not universally true. For some people, that feeling of change, or adventure, or rush-of-life, comes from another source. 

A close friend of mine seems to experience what I'm talking about when he's SCUBA diving. Another friend says it's watching their kids experience things for the first time that sets their spirit of adventure free.

So now I'm curious. Where do you get that feeling? When do you feel like you're experiencing something that is impacting--for the better--the kind of person you are becoming?

I end today with one of my favorite quotes that always seemed to be talking about TRAVEL to me, but I see now it could be anything:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain



Create Your Own Visited Countries Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment