RSS Feeds

Monday, May 20, 2013

I Saw London, I Saw France, I Saw Switzerland's Underpants....and Monaco's too



Well I’m back. I didn’t have time to mention it before I left, so probably most of you are thinking, “Back from where? Were you gone somewhere?” 

Yes.

When my wife got into school many moons ago, we knew it was going to be a long haul and we agreed that kids or not, when she was done we’d take a vacation somewhere she really wanted to go: France.

That day recently came, and of course, our thinking was, if you go all the way to France can you really not visit a couple surrounding places too? Of course not… So we did Monaco and Switzerland and London, too.

It was a great trip, and I have to say, as far as travel goes, those countries were among the easiest places I've ever traveled. Public transit was simple and reliable, food was great, costs weren't crazy . . . in fact, France was a lot less expensive than Canada.  Switzerland was the big surprise however. It was never on our list, and we likely never would have gone that way had we not had friends living there, but it was a highlight of the whole trip. Beautiful country (the Alps are ridiculous), wonderful people, heaps of history . . . plus, we sneaked into the United Nations, so that added a bit to the overall experience. Add to that the fact that chocolate is practically a staple, and you very nearly have heaven on earth.

My son was injured during part of our trip ( I should say it was during our infiltration of the UN, but it wasn't quite so interesting). He dislocated his elbow, but I suppose it could have been worse, and perhaps it was interesting to visit one of the hospitals in London . . . that is, if I really needed to find a silver lining there.

He's all better now, and couldn't have been more of a trooper. We rewarded him with some time in Paris Disney which he actually really enjoyed. I was surprised since he’s so young, but he giggled at the characters, and laughed on the rides.

Jet lag has tweaked my usual sleepless nights to even more sleepless nights, but that works for getting some writing done. I didn’t have my computer on this trip and I have catch-up like you wouldn’t believe.

Summer is usually the travel time for most people, so do any of you guys have trips planned?

PS - that's the Flag of Geneva above. Why don't cities in Canada have cool flags like that? I'll have to start a petition or something, see if I can't make it happen. 

7 comments:

Steve MC said...

I read about the event at the UN, but didn't know it was you. I bet your son bumped his elbow during your paragliding escape off the rooftop into the forest. Glad to hear he's better.

And so glad you had such an enjoyable and expansive trip. Think I'll have to put Switzerland on my schedule at some point.

JeffO said...

Dislocated elbow? Sounds painful! Congratulations to your wife for being done, and welcome back!

Julie Luek said...

Ohhh what a glorious vacation. Congratulations to your wife for finishing her degree too! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time.

We don't have anything quite that glamorous planned, but my son just graduated from college and we're planning a cross-country family trip. I'm just in Mama Heaven looking forward to time with my kids-- who knows when that will happen again.

Steven W said...

@Steve MC - Yep, that was us, and between you and me, my son's dislocated elbow happened when he delivered an elbow to the shin of one of the guards we had get past (He's pretty short, my son, so shins are pretty much as high as he can reach right now). All-in-all, a really great trip.

Steven W said...

@JeffO - Yeah, when I heard what it was I was pretty worried. Luckily we had some medication - it was about 3 hours from injury to hospital so there was quite a lot of crying. But it all worked out. He was fixed up, and here's a fun fact, did you know that British Hospitals are free? I mean, I'm Canadian so I know about universal health care, but it's not really free, and foreign travelers still have to pay. But in London we saw a doctor, had x-rays, got medicine, and the bill came to a big fat zero.

I just stood there slack jawed when they told me that.

Steven W said...

@ Julie - Thanks for the congratulations, and yes, it was a fun trip. But your road trip sounds fun too. Cross country, wow, that will be a lot of driving. We took our son and drove down the Oregon Coast for a week when he was only a few months old and it was really fun. I also have fond memories of the road trips my parents took us on when I was a kid.

Have fun on your trip and please tell your son Congratulations on his college graduation. He must be excited!

Shallee said...

What an awesome trip! And congrats to your wife for graduating! I've heard Switzerland is so amazing, too.

Post a Comment