RSS Feeds

Friday, February 15, 2013

COVER ART LOVE



 And if you look out the window to the left, you'll see the new Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone cover. Scholastic, the USA publisher of the series, is re-releasing the books with new covers to celebrate the 15th anniversary of their arrival in North America.

I've seen some mixed responses to the new covers on Twitter and Facebook, but I'm in camp "LOVE IT." I loved the original covers, too, don't get me wrong. But if new covers revitalizes interest in the series among younger readers just discovering the boy wizard, I welcome the change.

Okay, speaking of book covers . . .






I know, I know, I’ve done posts about book covers before. I clearly have an unhealthy infatuation with them. In fact, lately I've gotten back into the swing of reading (my son had put a dent in that activity over the past month or so), and I've discovered so many incredible book covers, that I'm thinking about making "cover art" a recurring theme in this blog.

I read more than just kid-lit, actually kid-lit probably only makes up 50% of what I read, so I might have a couple days where I post a dozen adult books whose covers are swoon-worthy. I have some files building on my computer, so we'll see . . .

As I've said before, there's simply nothing like a well-designed book. I am frequently in awe of those artists who create book covers, and the designers who do the typeface (which is, in my opinion, just as important as the actual artwork). Nothing is just haphazardly thrown together, it's all done with careful consideration. I think staring at a cover and wondering what the artists/designers were thinking when they designed it is part of what makes a book great.

 Oh, and just so there's no misunderstanding, please realize I have zero (less than zero, if that were possible) artistic skill. I just love it when I see something that captures what I felt when I read a book. Actually, now that I think of it, I wonder how my color blindness impacts how I perceive book covers.

So today I wanted to share a few covers I discovered that compelled me to either read the books, or add the books to my TBR list. It happens with alarming frequency, actually. But in today's instance, I tried to build a list of covers that might be off the beaten path. I thought I'd make a concious effort to find covers for books that might not be on your radar yet.

Let me know what you think.

 (PS – The pictures are links. They'll take you to Amazon if they're available. And if they're not on the market yet, the links will take you to the publisher's websites.

 Here we go:
  

13 comments:

JeffO said...

Hmm, I find the new Potter cover a little too busy, personally. At least it's not from the movie knock-off school, with pictures of Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint splashed across it.

Some interesting covers there. I think my favorite is...hmm...maybe 'This Dark Endeavour', though I think the title really could use some spacing. I also like 'Last Message.' I must be a minimalist!

Steven W said...

@JeffO - It does have a lot going on, doesn't it? I'm very interested to see what the artist comes up with for the next ones. They're all getting a facelift.

As for This Dark Endeavor. That's one of the books I picked up just b/c of the cover. Well, Kenneth Oppel, the author, is one of my hands-down favorites, too. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

HK said...

I am on the fence about the HP book covers. I didn't love the old ones and I'm not sure I love the new ones either. but those other covers on your list are incredible. wow. And as someone who buys kids books all the time for family members, I am so surprised that I ve never seen or heard of half of those books.

I liked your last post on book covers to. keep em coming. Maybe one of these days we'll see your book covers in a list like this ;) or mine.......... oh to dream.

Anonymous said...

Favorites are The Blue Lady (ceepy) and Time Snatchers. I have to have both of those books. I've seen The Archived before, and it's a good book if you haven't read it. Cover is very nice too. Thank you for showing us some covers - and books - that I might have missed otherwise.

Julie Luek said...

I enjoy a different genre, so lean towards different kinds of covers, but I agree-- a book cover alone can cause me to pick up a book. I often make judgments on whether I will like a book or not just based on the cover (no half naked men and women gripping each other).

Tyrean Martinson said...

Those are some awesome covers! I get drawn in by covers too. The new Harry Potter cover? Hmm. I think I'll have to look at it more than once before I decide if I like it. I started the series originally because my nieces loved it and they sold me on it so I didn't actually start it because of the cover.

Kristin Butcher said...

I agree that they are all good covers, though I find most of them are similar -- ie -- character hurrying toward the reader, and they are quite dark. I'm wondering how they stand out on a bookstore shelf.

Steven W said...

Interesting mix of opinions here. Really like that!

@HK - Glad I could introduce you to a few new titles!

@Annon - The Blue Lady is one of my fav's too. If memory serves, that's one that isn't out yet. I'm looking forward to it.

@Julie - I'm thinking about posting a compilation of covers I like geared for different markets. I seem to subconsciously be drawn to the same kinds of books that I write. I am going to make an effort, when I do, to put a rage of genres.

@Tyrean - Glad you liked them. I'm pretty big on book series that have a common theme/design to them, so I'm curious how the artist for Scholastic is going to approach the other books in the series.

@kristin - well spotted. I did that very subconsciously , but when you point it out, I see that, indeed, I went for the action/adventure genre with this compilation. My current WIP is just such a genre, so perhaps that's why my eye has been drawn to such books lately. As I mentioned above, I'll make an effort to have a wider genre representation next time I post a cover post.

Thanks again for stopping in, guys.

Mark Means said...

I think those are some great covers...especially the "Tall Tales" one. I found that striking, for some reason.

As a comic book fan, I can certainly understand your infatuation with book covers...they're just so..neat :)

Steven W said...

@Mark - I agree about "Tall Tales" my biggest regret is that I wasn't able to find a super clear image and there are so many little details on that cover that I can see, but not clearly enough. Probably should have dropped a note to the publisher and asked for a larger resolution image...

next time for sure!

Dana said...

I love the covers for The Archived and The Savages. Those two draw me in for sure.

I've always been more drawn to the back cover blurb than to the front cover, but your post has reminded me about just how important those front covers are. :)

Happy weekend! :)

R.E.Washington said...

I really love The Archived and The Six Gun Tarot, though I have to say I love all the covers.

Jennifer R. Donohue said...

I brought Six Gun Tarot for the double header of awesome title + good cover. I haven't read it yet, we'll see how it goes!

Post a Comment