RSS Feeds

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

GAME TIME!!!


I want you guys to try something . . . . Ready? Okay, so ideally you’d close your eyes and concentrate, but since most people have a difficult time reading with their eyes closed, let’s try this:

First, clear your mind. Blank slate time . . . ready? 
 
Imagine a desert scene.

Now imagine a cube in that desert. What does the cube look like? What is it made out of? Is it hollow or solid? Is it floating or firmly planted on the ground?

Now imagine a ladder. What is the ladder made of? Where is it in relation to the Cube? How many rungs does it have? What Condition is it in?

Now, somewhere in your scene there is a horse. Describe it? Where is it in relation to the cube?

Now you need to add some flowers. Where are they? What kind are they? Are there lots, a few, one?

Finally, somewhere in your scene there is a storm. Where is it in relation to the cube? Is it directly overhead, or is it off in the distance? Is it light or fierce?



****** Don’t read on until you’ve finished with the scene, this game only works once. Once you know what being cubed is all about, you can’t do it again.****** 




There, you’ve been cubed. Now for the explanation.


You are the cube. The cube is how you see yourself. Is it made of steel? Is it made of glass? Wood? Is it floating, not quite grounded, or is it on solid footing. Is it big, small, medium?

The ladder represents your friends. Is it made out of the same material as the cube? Do you find your friends are similar to you? Is the ladder old and worn, or new and shiny. Do you have friends you’ve had for years, or are your close friends those you’ve met recently?

The horse is your significant other (real or imagined). It’s how you see them. Was it a work horse? A pony? A stallion. My wife insists her horse was a three-legged, blind and deaf mule that was being led away by a farmer to be put down . . . but I’m pretty sure she’s done this game before.  was the strongest stallion in the land!

The flowers represent your kids. Real, or otherwise. Were there lots? Do you want/have a lot of kids? Are they far away from the cube? Are they grown and moved out, are you distant from them in some way? Or perhaps you see them as independent?

The storm is trouble. Is it off in the distance? Do you not have any major troubles in your life right now? Or is it overhead? Do you have a storm you’re working through right now?

Honestly, I’m not really into this kind of stuff normally. I remember when I first heard about being “Cubed.” It was while watching Serendipity back in high school. But then I found a book on it about a decade ago, and for some reason this morning I woke up thinking about that book and thought I’d cube you fine folks.

Actually, I think you’re going to have more fun cubing others than you will considering your own cube-ness. If nothing else, it’s kind of fun game. I do remember, though that I cubed a woman I worked with and she imagined a very small cube made of eggshells, and the horse came into the picture and just started tromping over the cube, stomping at it with its hoofs. As it happened, she wasn’t in a great relationship and was in the process of going through a divorce. I only mention it because give some thought to who you are about to cube and the group setting (if you're in a group) you're about to do it in. Some people might be overly critical of their answers and embarrassed (though they needn't be) for others to hear them.

One of the things I distinctly remember about the book was that the interpretation is multifaceted. A cube made of a weak material, for example, doesn’t mean a weak person - or needn't mean a weak person. Perhaps a cube made of glass indicates a transparent personality. You let people see you as you are. Perhaps a Cube that floats means you have an active imagination.Perhaps a small box indicates you want people to underestimate you. Maybe it's small but made of steel or diamonds. A worn, old wooden box might be someone with loads of life experience. A giant box made of egg shells might be someone who wants to appear strong, but is really sensitive . . . .

The interpretation of the scene is up to you. More than anything it’s an interesting way to look at yourself. Don’t put much weight into it. Have fun with it. I did it so long ago that I can’t remember my answers, and like I said, it doesn’t really work twice. You have to do it without knowing what it is you’re doing.

If you’re interested, the book I have on being cubed is this one.
 

5 comments:

krystal jane said...

That was pretty fun. ^_^ My cube was an ice cube that had sand on it. Lol! All the flowers were under the ladder, but that kind of makes sense, since I have friends with children. One with a lot! I have a couple of people in mind that would enjoy being cubed. ^_^

marie salvros said...

O, I really liked that. I never cubed myself before but I did, and then I cubed my husband and daughter. That was really interesting. My cube was like a cube shaped bubble, floating in the air ready to pop.

Avery Olive said...

My cube was broken :( I couldn't for the life of me put in flowers (I hate flowers) and my later only had three rungs. The storm was crazy, rain, lightning... right over head. And my horse. Yeah. I think it was dead.

So... yeah. I'm not loving this whole cube thing lol I think it's flawed, either that, or I'm a little messed up!

Cielle said...

With oracles (and this seems to qualify,) how you choose to interpret the symbols is as important as the symbols themselves. It's a way of speaking to your subconscious self, and that's why you may notice an eerie accuracy about your answers. There were things about my cubing that were a little uncomfortable, but offered insight anyway. Overall a positive experience, and now I have to cube my husband.

Steven W said...

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I've been on a "cubing" kick lately and I think my friends are sick of it. Too many are questioning their relationships after their "horses" are diseased, or lame, or running off in the distance with another horse! HA!

I'm glad you guys have had a sense of humor about it.

I'm curious now if there are other such personal-reflection-type games out there....

Post a Comment