RSS Feeds

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Middle Grade Book Covers .... because I said so!



I’ve been thinking a lot about book covers lately. I tend to do that when I've finished a new project. I like to dream of being one of the lucky authors who really gets a stand-out cover. One that's like a right-hook to the attention-center of a reader (not that I'm suggesting anyone punch a reader ... that would just be mean and uncalled for!).

I generally write middle-grade fiction, and as a result, I also read a lot of middle-grade fiction. And I really believe that some of the best covers on the market right now are those designed for the middle grade audience. 

So I decided to take a few minutes this morning, and post a few of the middle grade covers that I've seen lately that have left me seeing stars. Now I feel I should say that some of these books I’ve read, some I’ve seen in shops and libraries, and others I’ve only seen online.

Here they are, in no particular order:










 What do you think? Do you have a favorite book cover? It doesn't have to be one of these, but throw a comment and link below, I'd love to check it out. 

Oh, and before I sign off: Happy 4th of July to all you Americans in the room! I hope your day is filled with fireworks and celebrations!

8 comments:

L.J. Kentowski said...

Happy 4th! I think middle grade books have some of the best covers out there, hands down! I am always in awe of the artwork. I've always loved the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series' covers.

Love the covers you've posted!

Shell Flower said...

Wow, those are some awesome covers. The first is my favorite. What I love is the perspective in these. Almost all of them have a cool "in-your-face" point of view and there is a ton of action implied, which you would expect for MG. It's such a fun genre.

My 4th of July will be spent trying to keep my cat calm as my neighborhood erupts into chaos with fireworks tonight. There's no fire ban in Western Washington with all the rain we've had, so it already sounds like a war zone outside. At least I have the day off :)

JeffO said...

Covers are pretty interesting, but I'm fascinated by the title 'Skipping Stones at the Center of the Earth'--that's a title that makes me want to read.

Out of curiosity, did the books on that list that you read match their covers for quality?

Anita said...

Wow! I don't think I've seen any better than these...nice selection!

Steven W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steven W said...

@L.J. Kentowski - I totally agree, the Percy Jackson books are not only great reads, but really well designed. Great covers on those!

@Shell - Good point. I never really noticed that perspective. I hope you managed to keep your cat calm :)

@JeffO - I've read Skipping Stones, Sleuth or Dare, 13th Reality and Janitors. I really enjoyed all of them! Sleuth or dare surprised me, though, b/c it was one of those books you can read in about an hour yet it really held my attention.

The Chronicles of Anaedor actually has a new cover, which is very nice too (actually, it's really well designed), but I personally preferred this one. I haven't read it yet, but I intend to.

Interesting fun fact, I totally didn't know this at the time when I posted those covers, BUT, Keeper of the Lost Cities, The Humming Room were both illustrated by the same guy - Jason Chan.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I think Middle Grade has some great covers. Very fun and imaginative. Better than they used to be. Although, that could be said about all book covers (usually). lol

Robert Yates said...

Apart from the first two the rest are pretty awesome. My favourites that stand out and do the job are The Peculiar (fantastic) and Sleuth or Dare (compliments the title and feel of the story experience well).

All the best.

Post a Comment