RSS Feeds

Sunday, October 2, 2011

REFLEX



I’m not sure how I missed it, but I’m glad I finally learned about REFLEX, Steven Gould’s sequel to JUMPER, a book I reviewed a while back. I won’t dwell too much on the plot of REFLEX. I posted a review of JUMPER here and the premise remains the same, just different situations. I will just say that I really enjoyed it. Well done, Mr. Gould. If you haven’t read it, and you enjoy a science fiction story, you should pick it up.

The JUMPER series is a really interesting series to read. First, there’s the first book, JUMPER and REFLEX, which follow a similar story line and premise. Then there was GRIFFIN’S STORY, which is quite a divergence from the first two books and follows the premise set forth in the movie. It might sound confusing, but it really isn’t. Honestly, there’s something for everyone with this series. If you loved the movie version of the book, which I did, you’ll want to read GRIFFIN’S STORY, which gives more information on the secret society of Jumper-Hunters (Paladins). And, if you loved the book version, which I did, you’ll want to read REFLEX since it continues with the story of David Rice, and has nothing to do with Paladins at all. 

I would be very curious to learn how much influence Steven Gould had over the film version of his book.

I am always acutely aware of the POV of the books I read, and I found it very interesting that that book one, JUMPER, was written in first person, while book two, REFLEX, was written in third person. I’d love to pick Mr. Gould’s mind on why he decided to do that. Not that I didn’t like it, both books were great reads (all three, actually), but I’ve never seen a series of books written from different POV’S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment