RSS Feeds

Friday, September 2, 2011

Thirty Second LOVE: Romanian Pop and Britney Spears!



Most nights I grab about three or four hours of sleep. No, not because my son is especially fussy, or because I suffer from chronic insomnia. It’s just a condition that manifested itself four or five years ago and never resolved (it makes for lots of writing time, so it’s not all bad).  Because I’m always awake when my son’s done with his four or five o’clock feeding, I bring him into the living room so we can hang out and my wife can catch a few more hours of sleep. Usually he sleeps and I write, but I still think it’s a bonding experience. 

BUT the other night I brought him in to the living room and he just wasn’t having it. He was as fussy as ever. He’d been fed, changed, burped, cuddled, swaddled, un-swaddled, rocked, walked, positioned and repositioned a dozen times, and yet I just could not get him back to sleep, or even to stop fussing.

In a last ditch effort I decided to see if my good friend, YOUTUBE could appease him a bit. I logged on, pulled up my favorites, and hit the play button on Britney Spears’s “I WANNA GO” music video *ahem* somehow Britney Spears’s “I WANNA GO” music video started playing and … silence. Sure the video might not be appropriate for a 1 month old (dang, it’s already been a whole month), but he was mesmerized. Then I played the UBER famous Romanian (Moldovian?) pop song by O-ZONE “Dragosta Din Tei” which is more commonly referred to as the “NUMA NUMA” song.

Once again, silence. He loved it! Not that I can blame him, that song rocks!

I tried a number of other songs, and he fussed. Britney and O-Zone were the only ones he was interested in hearing.

I couldn’t be more proud!  

7 comments:

Carrie Butler said...

Hah! I'm glad he responded so well to those (conveniently) random songs, Steve. ;) Have a great weekend!

JeffO said...

I'll hope that your tastes continue to coincide. When my daughter was two or three, she pressed the play button on the tape deck and bopped happily around the living room to a nice, long Grateful Dead jam. Now, she prefers Japan-O-rock (or whatever the official word is for the kind of stuff that accompanies anime opening credits). Blech! Though we do have some overlap (Blue October, Placebo and Florence + the Machine).

Glad things are going well for you.

Cynthia said...

My boys love all the music my husband I grew up with, especially Journey.

Sarah Pearson said...

My fifteen year old daughters love 80's bands like The Cure, Queen, Adam and the Ants. No idea why ...

Avery Olive said...

My son sadly has the biggest obsession with the song Rockerfella Skank by Fat Boy Slim. I am utterly embarrassed when he has the window down in the car, or screams from the porch at the top of his lungs "Right about now, the funk sole brothers! Check it out now..."
I hate that song, and wish, everyday that he would cozy up to my much better song loves which include the likes of Metallica, Ozzy, Journey, and of course, for some funny good old Hank Williams.

E.R. King said...

Aww, what a good daddy you are! Your son will be dancing before you know it. My second son would rock back and forth to Muse while he was on his hands and knees. This was before he could even crawl!

Matthew MacNish said...

Dude! Victoria isn't far from my hometown, Seattle, but regardless, after my post today, my bud Paul Joseph wanted me to make sure I was following you.

I wasn't! So I took care of it.

Nice to meet ya, homes!

Post a Comment