RSS Feeds

Saturday, September 24, 2011

LIFE LESSON #2



As I mentioned in LIFE LESSON #1, these posts are things I’ll one day teach my son. Sort of like a digital post-it note. As I’m reminded, I jot them down here.

So, Life Lesson #2: URINALS ARE NOT THE PLACE TO MEET AND GREET

When entering a men’s washroom (bathroom, change room, lavatory, loo, water closet,  – whatever you call it where you’re from), you’re likely to find a wall of urinals. Standard male etiquette dictates that you choose the urinal farthest away from whoever happens to already be there. You do not, unless it cannot be avoided, choose the urinal immediately beside another man.

Furthermore (and this one’s important so listen up), you do not attempt to make small talk while carrying about your business. Just don’t do it. Yes, I’m talking to you, creepy older guy I “met” in the gym washroom.

Bad form, sir. Bad form. 

*Life Lessons are a series of blog posts I write about lessons I intend to teach my new-born son (once he’s old enough). These posts are like a post it note reminders that I share. To see all the life lessons, click the “life lesson” link in the word cloud on the right.

10 comments:

E.R. King said...

Ha! Good advice.
If two ladies are in a conversation and they go to the restroom together, they separate to different stalls, continue the conversation while doing their business, and then meet back at the sink to finish talking. However, we do NOT start conversations with the women in the stalls next to us... unless we're out of toilet paper. : )

Carrie Butler said...

Oh, Steve. You poor, traumatized man. *grins*

I love the Life Lessons, and I'm sure your son will one day come to appreciate them. ;)

P.S. E.R. King is absolutely right! Haha

Sarah Pearson said...

This made me laugh, and shudder a bit too. I agree with Emily's comment except for one thing - if said ladies are young and in a nightclub, they will often share a stall. Apparently.

LynNerd said...

Haha! I love the digital Post-it note, which will benefit your son when he's old enough to grasp it (haha), but in the meantime, you're educating a multitude who aren't quite up to par on urinal etiquette! Fun post!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Men who break these rules need to be banned from society.

K. Turley (Clutzattack) said...

In high school I worked at Target and had to clean the restrooms as part of my job duties. I'd put the "closed" sign in the middle of the doorway, but there were still a lot of men who'd walk in and use the urinal--often the one next to the one I was cleaning.

I can understand needing to use the bathroom urgently, but not having the courtesy to at least use the urinal at the end of the row is unforgivable.

Avery Olive said...

Okay, I have to say, that I've had this conversation with my husband a time or too. And upon reading this post and relaying it to him, he told me as well to tell you that common curtesy is also not being rude and choosing the stall right in the middle (if say there are only three urinals) because chances are another person will walk in, and have no choice but to go right next to you.
Also, I must say that I am one of few women who things it's utterly inappropriate to continue a conversation whilst in a stall. I myself had that. Unless my stall or yours is out of TP.

And, this lesson is not just for the men. I too agree that one should never pick a stall next to someone else, unless you have no choice.

linda said...

Sorry to hear about the creepy encounter! And welcome back. :)

Donna K. Weaver said...

Oh, dear. I'm so glad I'm not a guy.

And don't talk to people on your cell phone when you're taking care of your business either.

Sneha Sunny said...

all i want to say is ...."lol"

Post a Comment