RSS Feeds

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Q: Where do book titles come from? A:In the examples below ... I'm not sure.

Authors often stress over what to name their books. And that's a good thing. Why not give it a lot of thought and consideration? But what's important to remember is that, in the end, there is a very real chance that your publisher will have you change it. Perhaps the title you picked is already used by a dozen books and yours will be buried in search results. Perhaps there's something about your title that is just wrong and you might not have noticed it. Most of the time the changes to titles are the result of careful consideration by marketing teams, and authors would be well advised to embrace the suggestions.

That said, from time to time I stumble upon a book that is titled in such a way that I am left wondering what the author and/or publisher was thinking. I got the idea for this blog post when I saw this book:


I'm sure cooking with Pooh would be a blast, but perhaps this would have been a time to throw in the “Winnie the” part. I imagine a child telling the dinner guests that the cookies they're enjoying were inspired by their favorite recipe book, “Cooking with Pooh."

Spurred by Winnie's cookbook, as I often am, I went on a quest through the back halls of the interwebs and found a rather remarkable collection of books with names that never should have been.




Okay, it seems that Winnie isn't
off the hook just yet. This one is
going on my "gifts to get my nieces
and nephews" list.



For those of you who, like me, are just plain tired of worrying about how you're going to deal with someone tying to bury you prematurely ... look no further.









*Sobs*  Note to self: Have psychiatrist and/or hypnotist block memories of time spent in scouts. 








Let me tell you from experience: it wasn't until I read this book that I became the awesome individual you see before you now. Sure, I was cool before, but not awesome. And "cool" is easy. "Cool" is so 1990.














Um ... I'm afraid to read
read this book, just in
case I do and find out that
indeed, I am worthless.













At first glance you may think, whoa, that's a peculiar book title. But just give it a second to sink in ... ... you want to read it, don't you? I know, that's the same thing I thought.











You're probably thinking that the above titles were the result of a brainstorming session that involved a Scottish drinking game of some kind. That's what I thought too. But in retrospect maybe they're not so crazy. I mean, the goal for a marketing department is to get the word out about a book, right? And here I am spending a whole blog post plugging these books. It's not crazy at all. In fact this could be genius. Well played, marketing department, well played.

Okay, I'm sure there are other peculiar book titles out there, if you know of any please a link in the comments section, I'd love to add some more to my list.

11 comments:

April said...

I've seen a post similar to this before, though some of those are new to me. People...amaze me. I'll leave it at that. LOL. Thanks for the laugh!!!

Alisha Souillet said...

Wow. Just, wow. Those were... too much. Thanks for the laugh. I needed it this morning. good post!

Carrie said...

I love this post! I think I'd like to get a copy of "Cooking with Pooh" and display it in my kitchen. You know, just to mess with people. :D

Steven Whibley said...

Thanks Carrie. I think I'm going to buy a few copies of "Cooking with Pooh" for Christmas gifts this year;)

Cynthia said...

You have a point there, marketing has after all got you to promote the books. Sneaky. LOL

It's funny that you wrote about this today because just this morning I was playing with different titles for my WIP and what I will write for my sysnopsis. Well done!

JeffO said...

Anyone who gives in to temptation and takes a 'Look inside' the Scouts in Bondage book should be prepared to have the FBI pounding on their door. They take a dim view of that sort of thing.

You have to wonder if there's a couple of dudes on the marketing team for some of these books snickering to each other and saying "Can you believe they approved THAT?"

Brenda Sills said...

Oh my word! You had me laughing so hard! What a fantastic post! Thanks for finding all these books for us to get such great entertainment out of! And thanks for following my blog. :)

Steven Whibley said...

Glad you enjoyed them, Brenda. I've since found a bunch more but I might save them for a part 2 post sometime towards the end of the year. Some of them are pretty hilarious.

Katie Dodge said...

Okay, that was HIlarious! Well done, Steven. :D

Marji Laine said...

Needed a good laugh! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

i died from the cooking with pooh book

Post a Comment