RSS Feeds

Thursday, May 5, 2011

BOOK REVIEW TIME

The story begins when a young woman, exploring her father’s study, finds an ancient book and a stack of letters addressed to ‘My dear and unfortunate successor’. From there the story plunges in to a mysterious world where she learns of her father’s past, and the events surrounding her mother’s mysterious disappearance.

It’s a historical tour de force based on one question: What if Vlad Ţepeş, Prince of Wallachia and the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula, really was a vampire?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was pulled in by the history and I thought there was sufficient suspense to keep me flipping pages all the way to the end, but if you’re not really into history, or you’re looking for an action packed vampire book, it might not be the best fit for you.

A bit of related information: Apparently the author worked on the novel for ten years and she sold it within a couple months for a whopping two million dollars (it was her debut novel). I also heard Sony has purchased the movie rights, and is planning an adaptation. 

I’ll be looking forward to that.

4 comments:

Marty said...

I thought this book dragged on and on and on. Also the ending was so anticlimactic that it was almost painful. But the history was pretty cool so I can see how if you're in to that it might have made the story good.I wanted more blood and gore from a vampire novel.

Steven Whibley said...

I can see where you're coming from. If I wasn't so into the history that was being discussed, I might have thought it dragged too. Good point. I didn't even know it was a vampire novel when I started reading it. It was one of the few times I started in on a book without reading the back, so I didn't have the expectation of blood and gore - but I agree a bit more would have been appreciated. I wonder how it will play out in the movies.

Ruth Donnelly said...

I thought The Historian was amazing. I really enjoyed the historical, geographical, & cultural stuff about the different countries they traveled through, and the mystique of finding the "historical Dracula". I was glad it was long, because I didn't want it to end!

Steven Whibley said...

@Ruth, I couldn't agree more. That book made me want to do more traveling. Actually, it made me want to travel and hunt for Dracula. I wonder if there are any such tours out there...

Post a Comment