RSS Feeds

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

And ... ACTION!



I’ve seen a handful of book trailers, and if I’m being honest (which goes against my professional liar instincts) they’ve never impressed me. In fact, a few of them have made me want to avoid the very book they were created to promote. Some especially atrocious ones have made me want to avoid books entirely.

Friends (if you can call them that) found my revulsion amusing and started sending me links to the worst trailers they could find. Each one seemed worse than the next, until finally just uttering “book trailer” made me want to vomit. 

It got so bad that until recently I had been avoiding these two minute nightmares as if they were rabid hyenas, or European men in Speedo’s (Honestly, they do make regular shorts in Europe, I know they do, I've seen them in the stores, please buy some, Mr. Hairy Greek man ... Please!!!).

Then something remarkable happened. I stumbled upon a trailer that I didn’t know was created for a book until the very end. It renewed my faith that book trailers needn’t be horrible pieces of monkey turd. They could be interesting, they could be exciting, and they could even, dare I say it, make me want to read the book.

So, without further ado, I would like to present two book trailers that I think are very well done. One was clearly very expensive to create (live actors, professional film crew), and the other was done for a few bucks by the author - both with good results.

Happy viewing!




7 comments:

Alisha Souillet said...

I have mixed feelings about trailers, I've had a bitter experience that has left me tainted in the world of book trailers.

However, the two above are great!

Marty said...

That's great! I couldn't agree more. I've only seen a handful of book trailers that seem worth the effort.

Toyin O. said...

These are great trailers, thanks for sharing.

Steven Whibley said...

@Toyin - You're welcome. I'm glad you liked them. I've gotten a few emails since my post linking me to some other pretty good trailers. I might throw a link or two up here in the next few days.

Mahak Jain said...

Check this out! http://www.mobyawards.com/?page_id=91

Steven Whibley said...

Great Link, Mahak. Thanks. Those "best" trailers are great! How imaginative.

John Wiswell said...

I don't actually see how these are good trailers for books. The Shiver one looks like a neat animation project - its strong point is its art design, which a novel won't have. And you have no idea whether the Lincoln trailer captures the tone or level of absurdity of its corresponding novel. Neither is at all reliably indicative of its product. I guess these could function in the way soda and beer commercials do, trying to get you to associate positive feelings with the product, but especially from within the industry that feels pretty off.

Post a Comment