RSS Feeds

Friday, January 14, 2011

REVENGE!!!



I do read from time to time, so I thought I’d occasionally post reviews - especially when I hit something I feel really good about.

I’m going to start with my favorite book: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (published in 1840).

This 1200 page juggernaut is a story of one Edmond Dantès, a young sailor on the verge of being promoted to captain, and starting a life with his longtime love, Mercedes. Plotted against by jealous rivals, Dantès is implicated as a Bonapartist traitor and thrown in prison. Revenge ensues!

Dumas writes revenge like no one I’ve ever read. Though at times the main character seems needlessly ruthless and not particularly likeable, I just could not put this book down – well, except when it got too heavy to hold (Whew … 1200 pages is heavy!). This is a book that will remain on my bookshelf forever (though probably not one I’d read as a bed time story to a kid).

Pick it up (if you’re strong enough) and give it a go – I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Now, when I’m looking for a book recommendation I tend to gravitate to the reviews that are short and sweet. So when I put reviews on my blog, they’re going to be similarly written. However, AFTER I read a book, I like to read the long reviews others write to see if my thoughts mirror theirs. If you’re like that too, I encourage you to head over to GOODREADS and take a look around.

Oh – one more thing about this book. Dumas got the idea, at least in part, from true events that he found in the memoir of one Jacques Peuchet. When you read it keep that in mind and the story will really blow you away!

Anyone read any good "revenge" books? I tend to be a fan so throw a recommendation up if you got one.

4 comments:

Spider said...

Haven't read it, but plan to. Sounds good. Hey I'm still waiting for that Hobbit you promised me.

Steven Whibley said...

Hobbits can take a while - They're man beasts, remember? You have to deliver them slowly.

Do check the book out and let me know what you think, I've heard some people say they really loved it, and others who outright hated it. That's one of the things I love about books.

Alisha said...

I'm not going to lie I will definitely run out and pick up this book because it has the stamp of approval from brilliant author Steven Whibley... oh wait... that is a lie. You had me until you mentioned 1200 pages :) Then I thought better off straining my arm picking it up. Does it come into movie form?
You do, however, make the book sound great! Nice review.

Steven Whibley said...

@Alisha - LOL - well thank you :) there are abridged versions of this book which I think run around 800 pages, but don't quote me on that. May I suggest, though, if you really want to get the most out of this book, that you read it as it was originally written: in French!

Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.

Yeah, do that and tell me how it goes :)

Post a Comment