RSS Feeds

Thursday, January 6, 2011

A PROFESSIONAL LIAR? WHA---?


I had a few people look over my blog these last few days and all of them asked the same question: 'What do you mean you're a professional liar?’ Good question, I suppose I really should have discussed this in my first post. Please, allow me to explain.

There is a standard author meme that basically says: “I’m a novelist, I tell lies for money.”  Novels are works of fiction, and as such, are lies. To take a couple examples: Stephenie Meyer lied about Vampires—we all know they don’t really sparkle (but they are dreamy). Tolkien lied, too. Hobbits aren’t nearly as fun-loving as he made them out to be—they’re vicious man-beasts and I wouldn’t approach one without a very large club. In any case, I didn’t mean to imply that in my personal life I’m a big-fat-liar, or that you shouldn’t trust a word I say. So, if you meet me in the streets and I yell, "Watch out, there's a sparkling-vampire-hobbit behind you!" you should probably run. That's not something I'd lie about!
    

4 comments:

Spider said...

Steve! Congrats on the contracts. I saw you on AW & followed the link. Looking forward to reading your stuff. "Professional Liar" is awesome. I've never heard that saying before but it makes me laugh.

PS~do I get a prize for being your first commenter?

Steve Whibley said...

Hey Spider,

Thanks. I appreciate the support. As for a prize for being the first poster ... good call. A prize is warranted, no question. Tell you what, since you commented on this post, I'll send you something that relates to what was discussed. Hmmm, let me think. Ah, I got it. How about a hobbit?

I'll send it as soon as I find a medium sized box ... and maybe some bubble wrap (hobbits like bubble wrap).

Cheers

Alisha Souillet said...

If I would have known there was a hobbit for a prize I totally would have commented first!

Librarygirl said...

I've never heard of this meme, but now that you mention it i see that it's well known, just not by me. Very funny.

Post a Comment